Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Compost Heap

In article ,
Gringo wrote:

I started a compost heap 12 months ago, its in a 200 Ltrs plastic
container, however the compost of grass cuttings , garden waste etc.
does not appear to be "breaking down", also the waste is cold.
It probably needs something to kick start it, suggestions I have had
are LIME or URINE
Would any of the members agree with this or are there other
alternatives

All help will be appreciated

United Kingdom (North West)

No personal experience but yarrow leaves are reputed for accelerating
decomposition of compost. Compost needs to be turned over from time to
time and kept humid. A little dirt thrown on top would be good and urine
can't hurt. Lime would certainly decompose your compost but the results
would be of little utility.
--

- Billy