Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Compost Heap

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/6/2009 5:26 AM, Gringo wrote:
I started a compost heap 12 months ago, its in a 200 Ltrs plastic
container, however the compost of grass cuttings , garden waste etc.
does not appear to be "breaking down", also the waste is cold.
It probably needs something to kick start it, suggestions I have had
are LIME or URINE
Would any of the members agree with this or are there other
alternatives

All help will be appreciated

United Kingdom (North West)

My compost is in a pile inside a corner formed by intersection of two
walls. It gets stirred about once a month, after which I water it.

Composting requires air and moisture. You might have a moist "mess",
but I don't think it gets enough air in a plastic container.

I run three.

One just garden debris that is big but rots. Low attention with
occasions of finding something good to move.

Two a place for old hot dogs and Maoist debris. The local vultures
visit and defecate here. I'm popular with the big birds in black but
really wonder why.

Third a rotating drum where stuff you can handle with a smile goes .

PS Maoist inspired from that Nazi.

Bill laugh and help it rot such is the mystery.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)