Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Orthenex

Is that the Orthene for shrubs & trees? What do I look for? Is it a
systemic in
powder form?
Cheers Wendy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Chris,

FWIW, I used to use Orthenex. It worked, but not nearly as well as
Orthene. With the former, I'd find that the time of control before return
of critters was a couple of months. So I was treating fairly often. With
Orthene I spray probably twice a year (a double spray each time) and all
is well. For isolated stuff I can always use a canned spray or alcohol.
You might need to order the Orthene if you don't have a supply vendor
nearby, but IMO it's worth it.

Now, if someone could tell me what to do about my gardenias, which are
thrip magnets, then I'd be home free altogether. I've used the same
treatments on them and have also tried the Bayer product. The bugs just
keep coming. If it weren't for a sentimental attachment they'd be ripped
out by now. And they may yet get trashed.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 12:55 pm, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have looked
in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I
have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

.

There is a Bayer product with imiploprid as well as a systemic

K Barrett