Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default cutting overgrown roses

"Jim" wrote ...
I've trying to clear the side flower bed of my incredibly over-run
garden of the house I've just moved into. When we got the place,
everything had got overgrown and I don't think any garden work had
been done for years.

I've cleared the garden and discovered a few rose plants in the flower
bed which I've left. They are about 8" long each. Due to loads of
brambles/time elapsed etc, the bottom 1.25m of the rose stem has no
buds or anything.

I'd like to cut the plant down to a lower height, since now I've
cleared the flower bed, I don't want my roses to be significantly
higher than anything else..

However, I'd also like to try to cause the rose plant to create new
flowers.

oes anyone have any suggestions?

You could prune hard now, they should throw up buds from the old wood.
Another way is to bend the stems over back to ground level and pin them
there like hoops, this will encourage flowering shoots all along the stem.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden