Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Grapes

The message
from Dymphna contains these words:

How do you know when you have to prune them? I have had these two vines
for 3 years now. I got my first grapes off of them this past fall. I
know you are supposed to prune them at some time, but not sure when.

It's a rather wide subject, and a bit complicated.

You should prune twice a year: once when the vine is dormant - cut
laterals back to within one or two buds of the main stem (or any
laterals you want to keep).

*AFTER* the flowers have set, and small grapes are becoming apparant,
cut back growth without bunches, and leaving three or four leaves beyond
each bunch, prune off the ends of fruiting laterals.

If you prune too early, the vine will be severely damaged, and may even
bleed to death.

My advice is to get a book on the subject and study it...

--
Rusty