Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

On 7/4/09 10:57, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
"aries" wrote:

Or is it? Cos every time I go out to work in the garden I come in bitten
on exposed skin - namely neck, chest and lower arms! So itchy that I'm
having to take antihistamine. Is anyone else having this problem and if
so
what do you do about it?

They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten. You must
be particularly tasty! I think the only answer is a repellent that you
know works well for you. I never wear perfume when I'm working in the
garden, partly because I don't want to attract bees (I wear floral or
citrus-y scents) and also because of its reaction with the skin in
sunlight.
I don't know if you wear a perfume but if so, wonder if it might be better
not to!

I must admit I don't usually wear perfume. :-)

You've relieved my mind, Bob. ;-))

There was a small cloud of midges over our pond this morning but I have also
seen small black flies, about pin head sized, that I think may be the
suspects.

Is that those horrible little "no see 'ums" that leave a ferocious itch
behind? I think they look like delta wing aircraft in miniature.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com