Old 07-04-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

aries writes
Or is it? Cos every time I go out to work in the garden I come in bitten
on exposed skin - namely neck, chest and lower arms! So itchy that I'm
having to take antihistamine. Is anyone else having this problem and if so
what do you do about it?

We certainly have a few clouds of small flies around, whether midges or
not I don't know - I don't get problems with them here.

Have you tried using insect repellent before you go out?

Another useful thing for bites is 'afterbite' (and other variously named
things) - basically a felt-tip-pen-like thing which dispenses an ammonia
solution/compound. Applied to the bite it is quite effective at stopping
he itching. Whether you feel this is preferable to antihistamine tablets
is for you to decide.

--
Kay