Old 07-04-2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Compost Heap

On 4/7/2009 6:14 AM, Gopher wrote [in part]:
In message , Gringo
writes
I started a compost heap 12 months ago, its in a 200 Ltrs plastic
container, however the compost of grass cuttings , garden waste etc.
does not appear to be "breaking down", also the waste is cold.
It probably needs something to kick start it, suggestions I have had
are LIME or URINE
Would any of the members agree with this or are there other
alternatives

All help will be appreciated

United Kingdom (North West)

If I were you I'd invest in a packet of Garotta .... available from most
garden centres, and DIY stores. It's an accelerant which generates the
heat necessary to stimulate the break down. Without it, things will
happen naturally but it definitely speeds things up. So does pee but not
as quickly. OTOH it is cheaper and is totally recycled :-))

Heat does not cause quick decomposition. Heat is a result of active
decomposition. The bacteria and fungi that convert plant matter into
compost generate heat as they work.

A cold compost pile is a symptom -- not a cause -- of a lack of
decomposition.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean