Old 07-04-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Grass in shade

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:14:50 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Have a good dinner. I gotta go check the ribs.

Ribs?? Dude...it's sunday......change of routine??

Oh, Lovey was off spending night with her mom who just came back from
the hospital with her ticky-ticker. Beau and Lilly, a.k.a. The Hounds
from Hell, have been deprived since we kinda O.D.ed on ribs. Four hours
on the grill and the meat was about ready to slide off the bones.

I am drooling on the keyboard and checking the freezer...I think we
have a couple slabs on ice.........plenty of Gate's on hand....yep,
drooling will be relieved this weekend.

Good time had by all. Randy, the senior statesman of our cats was greatly
pleased as well. The new "Alpha" cat, Figaro has never quite figured out
bones but it ****es him off to see the other cats enjoying them.

I still laugh at the name Randy, given to a tomcat.....how fitting.

If you get a chance, rent "The Girl from Paris". It's a real old man's
movie. Er, at least it's what I would think would be an old man's movie.
It's in French with very good acting and great scenery of what I'd guess
would be the Jura.

Good save, "young" trout.

Damn....I guess I am just going to have to break down and get on the
line with that Netflixthingie. Have picked up a few extra expenses
lately, but should be able to schwing it.

Is it subtitled? No, damn, you said otherwise. As you know, my french
is a bit.......worse than my german. Although, I've watched
non-english films and enjoyed them without totally groking the dialog.

My French and German are good enough for being a tourist but far from
fluent. Yeah, the "Girl from Paris" is subtitled but the acting is superb
(to my taste) and the scenery is right out of "Heidi".

Two "perfect" French movies are the "Fanny Trilogy" (Marius, Fanny, and
Ceasar)
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Fan...id=222336&lnkc
tr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1371623873_6_0
and Jean de Florette (Jean de Florette, and Manon du Source).
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Jean_de...Spring/7007546
5?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=842740283_0_0
They are adult movies but not in the adolescent "Playboy" sense.
Both are written by Marcel Pagnol.

There are so many good scenes in these movies but the most evocative for
me is when Ceasar reflexively turns, in conversation over cards, to his
old friend Honore Panisse and goes muet, because the chair is empty, as
his old friend had recently died.

No car chases. No gun fights, but a masterful exhibition of humanity.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be
teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which
infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by
myself." -- George Bernard Shaw

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-- Mark Twain

to be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing it's best, night
and day, to make you like everybody else - means to fight the hardest
battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. --
e.e. cummings

Sleep well.

I did, and I shall again this night. The morrow brings new wonders
and new battles, neh?

Charlie

--

- Billy