Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
monique monique is offline

Default Clernates

wrote:
Do you know what "clernates" is? I live in a subdivision where all

the street names are plants and flowers, like Snapdragon, Wake Robin,
and Saguaro. One street in the area is named Clernates, and no one knows
what it means, or even how to pronounce it.
Can anyone here offer any info?

Thanks,
Bill

My guess is that someone misread a hand-written "Clematis", mistaking m
for r and n, and i for e. The error was propagated through all the
planning and sign-making process, with no one wanting to admit that a)
they couldn't read the writing and b) they had no idea what plant it was.

M. Reed