Old 07-04-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Malcolm is offline

Default Rhubarb question. altered

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Kathy" contains these words:

What eats rhubarb leaves?

Went down the allotment today, and found that the leaves on just one of our
five rhubarb plants had been stripped to the ribs! No slime trails,
footprints or droppings as a clue, so any ideas on what it was?

Found quite a lot of caterpillars recently, mainly of the grass-noshing
variety. I've never seen paterkillers on rhubarb, thobut.

Despite any lack of slime-trails, I'd diagnose snails.

Sorry to hi-jaqck this thread but I have a different problem. 2
separate crowns, both 3 years old and both gone to seed this year. I
have cut off the flower stalks but cannot see any signs of new growth.
Should I now consider the crowns dead and re-plant or will they survive?

Malcolm