Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_5_] Bobbie[_5_] is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.

But being a Scot, you should be thinking of what in England are called
'harebells'. (Campanula rotundafolia)

Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Still looking for some wood anemone rhizomes... (Anemone nemorosa)

LOL Funny you should say that Rusty, Annie and I have had many a
discussion about that very thing. In fact I am referring to
Hyacinthoides non-scripta, not (Campanula rotundafolia) or harebell.
They are Scottish Bluebells only because they were raised in a Scottish
garden by a Scot.
What I am trying to avoid is Hyacinthoides hispanica.

Bobbie