Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default There goes the neighborhood

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
My rural neighborhood is more or less city-fied. They all got
pasture type fencing including the street-facing side. All is well
manicured native grasses as viewed from the street on these 5/10/20
acre plats. No native spring flowers, they're all mowed down. No,
these native flowers and their originating plants are not in
competition with native grasses. I delight when I arrive at home to
see spring alive, these white and ultra-yellow flowers will wilt soon
enough. Soon to see summer, and most, if not all of it, will wilt
and dry again in the Texas sun. I kept my fenceline around my house,
not my property line. I don't understand my neighbors, help me out.

Tell the smart ones:
Too frequent cutting favours some species over others and leads towards loss
of diversity. They may need all of those species at some time under
different conditions.

Tell the rest:
It's not 'authentic' to have it so neat, back in the olden days there was no
neat. They came to escape the new and embrace the old so leave it grow
sometimes. Also riding a mower/tractor for hours gives you a tan which is
uncool and leads to skin cancer. They should stay indoors in the aircon and
admire the wonders of nature from there and preserve their complexion so
they can properly show off their new clothes from the spring collection.

David

The world is becoming over populated. What was once country will become
city. My Mother was born and raised in the country with barns and farm
animals. Seventy years later it is now a concrete jungle with thousands
of homes and paved streets. Farm animals no longer allowed.

I was also born there in the same city. When I turned forty I moved to
the country. I still had city habits when I first moved to the
boondocks, nice lawn and flowers around the house, just like those in
the city. I am changing; the lawn not so good - I no longer put down
herbicides, I now raise chickens, into beekeeping and have a large
vegetable garden. I was a city mouse now turning into a country mouse.

Like my mothers world changed, so is mine. The creeping civilization of
human over population is slowly arriving. This year a new big box
hardware store and a mega mart store like wallmart is just seven miles
down the road. I am also guilty of this transformation also, as I moved
to the country so did others.

I however, have no kids and will not contribute further to this messed
up over populated world. As for complaining about your landscape
changing will be on no use ... get use to it. It is they way the world
is! It is called "Progress".

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.