Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

On 7/4/09 23:12, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

There was a small cloud of midges over our pond this morning but I have
also
seen small black flies, about pin head sized, that I think may be the
suspects.

Is that those horrible little "no see 'ums" that leave a ferocious itch
behind? I think they look like delta wing aircraft in miniature.

Yes, the ones that fly past your face and you only catch a glimpse then are
gone only to return a few moments later (having taken a bite)

Ah yes, those little b.........lighters! ;-)) My other less than
favourites are the flies that look like ordinary houseflies until they nip
you, leaving a ferocious itch behind. In fact, they fly a bit slower than
houseflies do and have a white marking underneath, IIRC but you certainly
know when you've met one.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com