Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_5_] Bobbie[_5_] is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

Kathy wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message

Snip

They don't seem to have reached us here in Dorset. I have never been
bothered by them, nor by the mozzies that gather round the pond.

I didn't get bothered by midges and mozzies much when I lived in Dorset
either.
The bloody Blandford fly was another matter :-{

Although I was never bitten myself I do believe it was a real problem at
one time. I read that things have improved considerably in the past years.
quote

Bites from the notorious Fly have been dramatically reduced thanks to
aggressive treatment of rivers.

Authorities along the River Stour, including North Dorset, East Dorset
and Poole Councils and the North Dorset Primary Care Trust, contribute
to the treatment, which is carried out by the Centre for Ecology and
Hydrology.

The larvae are sprayed as they emerge from the river in late April to
prevent them reaching adulthood and causing a nuisance to local people.

North Dorset District Council, which contributes over £8,000 a year to
the treatment, manages the project as the concentration of the insect
has traditionally been highest in the district.

end of quote
North Dorset District Council

Bobbie