Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chicken Manure

On Apr 8, 5:32*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

I use my fowl manure straight on the garden, but I don't put it onto tiny
seedlings or near the trunk of plants - I don't have time to faff about
heaping it up to 'age'.

IIRC, you have a moderate sized garden??? *If that recall is right, you will
have somewhere in the garden where you could use the manure collected from 3
hens over a one week period without any danger to existing plants - just use
some common sense in where you apply it.

Thanks Fran, good common sense, as you say. My garden is about one
third of an acre so not large. We have land opposite the house which
we have started to cultivate as a veggie and fruit garden, in fact
this is where the hens are kept.

Judith