Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Rusty_Hinge wrote
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

When in the countryside where the midges are at their worst,
I would tuck a sprig of bog myrtle behind my ear,

Compo sent me some Caithness bog myrtle roots, but after a year they
began to die - indeed, all but one did. I found this was due to vine
weevil, so I've only got one plant left.

Any vine weevil wanting to munch the roots of *THAT* one will need a
snorkel...

hint

Any roots gratefully received!

/hint

I use the leaves as a tisane - you don't need nearly the weight of bog
myrtle leaf as you would of tea - it is said to be a nerve-tonic, and it
certainly makes me feel a lot more alive and - a lert.

(Lerts Rule OK)

It's known as 'mountain tea' in Greece. You can buy great bundles of it
at markets.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally