Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default Compost Heap

On Apr 6, 5:26*am, Gringo wrote:
I started a compost heap 12 months ago, its in a 200 Ltrs plastic
container, however the compost of grass cuttings , garden waste etc.
does not appear to be "breaking down", also the waste is cold.
It probably needs something to kick start it, suggestions I have had
are LIME or URINE
Would any of the members agree with this or are there other
alternatives

All help will be appreciated

United Kingdom (North West)

--
Gringo

I'd agree to suggestions of adding 'browns' - small, chopped sticks,
dried leaves, shredded paper products, straw, whathaveyou - and
turning the pile with some regularity. Aeration is usually needed to
heat up the pile as well. "Cold" composting (aka static composting)
can be equally successful but just takes a much longer time to achieve
similar results. And often doesn't kill off weed seeds or any
pathogens.

Alfalfa meal breaks down rather rapidly and generates heat as it does
so - one of the reasons it is suggested to use sparingly in the
immediate root zone of most plants. It can burn. Actually, any good
nitrogen source will work to stimulate some microbial activity and are
often recommended as compost activators - alfalfa meal, blood or bone
meal, urine :-)