Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Compost Heap

Just some thoughts..

My first compost pile would not heat up. I used a 50/50 green/brown
mix, added some water, nothing happened. It wasn't until I got the
heap large, it started to cook. My conclusion here is that the volume
of the heap is very important, start with at least 1 cubic yard and
chances of success increase. I have had success in the sun or shade.
The tumblers, earth machines, compost balls, etc, surprisingly don't
work as well as making compost that is in direct contact with the
ground. Making compost is somewhat an art, but once you get one going
it is like taking care of a pet. Gardening is certainly limited
without compost.