Old 13-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Sacha

Default Gardeners World

in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

The real problem with gardeners World is still there - too many fingers

in
the soil. Too many band wagon gardeners, not naming names but "the

team".
Gardening is not a team game. One has ones garden and it is ones

personal
and total domain. It aint a "team effort".
And I can understand why AT gave up the programme when having to work

with
that Team and in HIS Garden!

I note the garden is for the first time not that of the presenter!??

Too many cooks and all that!

Gardening is not a team effort? Well. I hope all those people who run
Wisley, Kew, Rosemoor know that. How did Percy Thrower and Geoff Hamilton
miss that? Indeed, I must remember to talk sternly to my husband
tomorrow.......
--

And my grandfather was a Head Gardener for a very large garden ( when such
things were not just limited to Kew etc).

I note ( I think it was in GW) that one of the features was a Garden in
Cornwall. They asked the owner how he had succeeded in having such a unique
garrden and he said it was becuase in 100 years they had only had three Head
Gardeners controlling the garden and so there had been continuity of ideas.
Supports my point.
GW has too many chiefs with too many different ideas.

But for a gardening programme, it could be argued that is a necessity.
There isn't only 'one way' of gardening. But I think the beginning of the
new series made it clear that Monty Don is the one 'in charge' if one thinks
that so important.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk