Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Copper Sulphate

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Martin wrote:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.
I'm seeing the same as Rusty, and I'm using 2.22 also...

It displays correctly with both Thunderbird 2.0.0.21and Forte Agent 5.

What do you see if you look at the article on the website?
http://www.stackyard.com/news/2009/0...esticides.html

A perfectly ordinary article. Nothing untoward...

It starts: "“Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical
pesticides being used in ‘organic’ production,” says BCPC’s Chairman,
Dr Colin Ruscoe. “And about 50% of these have now failed to gain EU
approval (91/414 Annex 1 listing).” "

Ah, it reproduced slightly differently!

The website is using top bit set single byte characters which may or may
not propagate on Western Usenet streams (these days they usually do).

Look carefully and you will see that the slope is \ on the leading and /
on the trailing edge. They are escaped in the HTML source code as
&lsquo, &rsquo &ldquo etc.

“Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical
pesticides being used in ‘organic’ production,” says
BCPC’s Chairman, Dr Colin Ruscoe.

Most clients should be able to display this text unmolested by using the
right font and/or configuration of the treatment of high bit set and
double byte characters.

Regards,
Martin Brown