Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Orthenex

Thanks for this info Pat, Yes I had flowers with streaks which was caused by
systemic pesticide named Cygon. It is no longer available in CA.
My gosh that Safari is expensive even if you split it 3 ways!!!!
Now I often wonder about fumigation & if anybody fumigates their
greenhouses?
Cheers Wendy

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
. com...

Acephate 4.00% Acephate 8.00% ---
insect (Orthene)
Triforine - - --- disease (fungus)
Fenbutatin-oxide 0.75 Fenbutatin-oxide --- mites
(Hexakis) (Hexakis)
Other Ingredients 92.00 Other Ingredients --- filler

Be careful with acephate while spikes are forming. In the plant, the
systemic tends to concentrate where the plant is actively growing and can
cause flower color breaks. I will use acephate this time of year, but I
do not use it on the phals between Sept and March. I would not become too
wed to acephate, there is a general move away from the organophosphates.
I do not think that any of the acephate products are labeled for
greenhouse use any more. The current buzz is for Safari (dinotefuran),
another neonicotinoid like the neonicotinoid imidacloprid found in Merit,
Marathon, and Bayer tree and shrub. People are reporting much better
success with Safari than with the imidacloprid based products. But at
$350 per 3 pound jug I have no first hand knowledge.

Pat