Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Salsify

On 9/4/09 17:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:10:04 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:27:06 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 9/4/09 11:35, in article
, "K"
wrote:
snip

We spent delightful afternoons watching the martins hunt and chirrup
incessantly to each other, then evenings watching the bats hunting the
insects attracted by the castle floodlights - never seen so many bats in
my life nor so clearly :-)

Now you'll traumatise Judith, talking about bats flying around! We enjoy
the ones we get here so much. I think I've seen at least one already but
am
hoping that last year's terrible cold and wet didn't finish them off. We
had a colony nesting in between the paling walls of a shed and could hear
them squeaking when we walked past. Sometime a little head would pop out
and quickly pop back in again when its radar picked us up! But we haven't
heard them for some time and are a bit worried last summer starved them to
death.

Spring is sprung, the green parakeet is back eating the buds on the chestnut
trees. It and the buds were a week earlier last year.

There's a lollipop shaped chestnut tree on a farm near here that is now in
full leaf and is a wondrous sight. The ash tree opposite my study window is
just coming into leaf on the lowest branches and a Fremontodendron clinging
to the downpipe rather precariously is thinking that it might decide to
live after all.

What you are missing is a flock of green parakeets.

Our parakeet migrates up to 2 miles some winters.

I can imagine the reaction of 'our' rooks now. "Yummie! Parakeets"
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com