Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Salsify

Sacha wrote:
On 9/4/09 17:38, in article
, "Martin"
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:10:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article
, "Martin"
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:27:06 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/4/09 11:35, in article
, "K"
wrote: snip

We spent delightful afternoons watching the martins hunt and
chirrup incessantly to each other, then evenings watching the
bats hunting the insects attracted by the castle floodlights -
never seen so many bats in my life nor so clearly :-)

Now you'll traumatise Judith, talking about bats flying around!
We enjoy the ones we get here so much. I think I've seen at
least one already but am
hoping that last year's terrible cold and wet didn't finish them
off. We had a colony nesting in between the paling walls of a
shed and could hear them squeaking when we walked past. Sometime
a little head would pop out and quickly pop back in again when
its radar picked us up! But we haven't heard them for some time
and are a bit worried last summer starved them to death.

Spring is sprung, the green parakeet is back eating the buds on
the chestnut trees. It and the buds were a week earlier last year.

There's a lollipop shaped chestnut tree on a farm near here that is
now in full leaf and is a wondrous sight. The ash tree opposite my
study window is just coming into leaf on the lowest branches and a
Fremontodendron clinging to the downpipe rather precariously is
thinking that it might decide to live after all.

What you are missing is a flock of green parakeets.

Our parakeet migrates up to 2 miles some winters.

I can imagine the reaction of 'our' rooks now. "Yummie! Parakeets"

lol