Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Death of a plum tree ?

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
I planted a pot grown Victoria plum (on Pixie) early last summer. It
produced 2 plums and lost its leaves at the usual time. A week ago it
opened one flower bud at the end of a branch but, after that dropped,
nothing is happening. Soil around was on the dry side but with no leaves it
cannot be losing much water. I watered it well anyway. Does anyone have any
ideas ?

Thanks

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Use a clean sharp knife to scrape away a *little* of the bark on the trunk
of the tree. If it is green underneath, it is alive still; if it is
brownish or black, then it is dead. If the former, feed with a general
fertiliser and water well. The single flower may just have been caught by
frost .. pecked by a bird .. knocked off by a cat or squirrel ..

If it responds well and flowers again, wait for it to set fruit (these will
be tiny), then feed it with a tomato fertiliser. *Do not* overfeed; if you
know you're inclined to be generous (heavy handed :~[), give a half-strength
feed only.

I hope it's good news.
Spider