Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan[_3_] Pat Brennan[_3_] is offline

Default Orthenex

Wendy, there just are not that many fumigants left on the market. From what
is available to me here in Va there are two options. The first is a series
of products from the Whitmire Corp which are total release aerosols. Pop a
can and run and while you are eating dinner the whole greenhouse gets
treated. The flavors available a year or two ago where dursban
(restricted), decathion, acephate, pyrethrum, an IGR, and Taistar. The
label allows air mixing, i.e. pop two different cans and run. Although
there could not be an easier way to treat a greenhouse, I found that I
always got a better kill if I just strapped on the backpack and sprayed the
same chemical. Maybe my greenhouse are just too crowded causing incorrect
dose or coverage. Don't know and I only use the Whitmire products when I
find a problem and know it will be a while before I get a chance to spray.

The other option is smoke. Light the can and run. I think all of the smoke
products are restricted use and the last time I looked only came in two
flavors; DDVP (organophosphate) and nicotine. I have found these products
to be very effective against whitefly, aphids, and thrips. But I have not
had much luck with these products against scale, mealybugs, and fungus
gnats. I do not think smoke is an option in Ca.

Pat