Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Maple Tree dead???

it could be a Japanese maple and they are slow to put out their leaves. as somebody
pointed out if you scrape just a bit of a twig and look for green that will be one
good indication. however, Japanese maples are VERY DIFFICULT and usually like a
protected place to be planted. they need even moisture because they have very
shallow roots, but never have their feet in standing water, they dont like full
blaring summer sun, like a partial shade and protection from wind.

Ingrid

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 16:58:34 +0100, geoff1132204
wrote:
a very pretty little tree in our
garden, about 2-3 foot high, that had bright red leaves. I was told, by
someone who supposedly knows their stuff, that this was a young maple.

I seem to remember that it grew these pretty red leaves very early in
the year, but that could just be my poor memory.