Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Corporal Jones Corporal Jones is offline

Default House Martin

Saxman wrote:
spruce wrote:

New on here saw my first housemartin yesterday
I live in south Wales thought I would let you all know

I'll look out for them here! There used to be hundreds of them on the
overheads outside my house in the Autumn before their departure, but
they have declined significantly over the years.

I look forward to the swifts flying overhead on Summer evenings.

Hearing birds singing in the treetops in the twighlight at this time of
the years does give one a lift.

Yes its a lovely time of year.
Clearing out the strawberry planter on Thursday I found the soil full of
vine weevil grubs, I gave up counting at 50 as I popped them into a
tray for an eager femail blackbird who was grabbing them as fast as I
could find them, her young will have been well fed that day.

On another note this morning I heard my cockatiels making a fuss in the
aviary, looked out of the window to see a Red Kite swooping low over the
garden, first time I have seen one so close and unusual in a built up area.

--
Corporal Jones
Dunstable