Old 13-04-2003, 03:32 PM
John Towill

Default Cost of Garden Centres versus Nurseries

--
"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Gill Hall at
ojunk wrote on 13/4/03 12:51 am:

I went to a not-often visited Garden centre about fifteen miles away to
discover that it had turned into a Wyevale. Nicely laid out, plants

looked
healthy, but I was shocked to discover that pots (admittedly, quite big

ones)
of Vinca major and all the various vinca minors were selling for no less

than
£7.99. I was shocked and didn't buy anything except a herb - for £1.50.

Am I out of touch or is this normal pricing?

It's not just the pricing. Fairly near me (several years ago) was an
excellent nursery. I went there to buy some soft fruit bushes, thought I
knew what I wanted. However I was faced with twenty questions, came away
with different varieties than I set out to buy.
They were wonderful, none died and all thrived. You go there now that it is
a garden centre and if you ask the staff any questions about "best variety"
they look at you as though you are mad, or from candid camera. Anyway they
will probably only have one variety anyway.
Cheers
John T