Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Can Organic Cropping Systems Be As Profitable As Conventional

In article ,
chasndeb wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406132600.htm

the abstract is at:
http://agron.scijournals.org/cgi/con...ract/101/2/288

the full text (WAY over my head!) is here
http://agron.scijournals.org/cgi/content/full/101/2/288

Chas

Cutting to the chase:

Conclusion

.. . . "Our analysis explores the role of risk exposure and of its
associated cost (as measured by a risk premium) across systems. The more
diverse rotations were found to generate moderate risk exposure, with
risk premiums rarely more than 5% of returns
or significantly different among those systems.

This indicates that the management practices associated with the lower
input or organic systems are, overall, no less effective than those
associated with high input systems."

Simply put, organic produces as much as typical chemical base farm.
What it doesn't address is the environmental impact of chemical farming
and the cost of it's remediation.

Same ol' privatize the profit and socialize the cost.

Good article.
--

- Billy