Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Gardeners World Grow your own

Bob Hobden wrote:
What worries me is that a lot of novice veg growers watch the program
and think it's the best, most modern way, to do it and all us old
folks are doing it the outdated old fashioned way.

Well I for one, am more interested in the experiences of people who do it,
'the old fashioned way'.

Raised beds being an example. A number of the new gardeners on our
site started off planting in small beds, raised or otherwise, before
either giving up a couple of seasons down the line or reverting to
the old way of growing without wasting half the plot with paths which
have to be tended too. At about £95 per plot it's too expensive to
waste land.

That is interesting because that is the way I intend to go. Mainly, I must
say, to be sure I can reach the plants as I get older. I know what it is to
be unable to bend properly. I already have metal knees and I am looking to
do the work in the easiest way possible.

Free manure/soil improver from your local Council.....yeh right!

May I suggest any novice veg growers subscribe to "The Kitchen Garden"
magazine which is well worth the money.

I shall do that very thing!

Thanks Bob.