Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Death of a plum tree ?

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Rusty, perhaps that should be: Inexperienced people should never prune
plums.

Some plums, whoever prunes them, shut-up-shop and refuse to fruit for years.

I used to prune my Victoria plum tree most summers in good hot, dry
weather.
It was vigorous, healthy and very fruitful for about 15-18 years.

Victorias are an exception, I believe.

It
eventually died after three branches broke in less-than-appropriate
weather,
letting in Silver Leaf disease. I replaced the tree with another trained
against a fence; that too, is pruned each summer. I am always scrupulous
about clean secateurs used in perfect weather conditions. Done correctly,
pruning of plums is possible and, when trained against a fence, essential.

Some plums.

Try pruning a greengage...

--
Rusty