Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Seed Starter heat pads

In article ,
Ernie Willson wrote:

I'm looking at heat pads to put under my seed starting trays. I need
several (say 4 or 5) and they get quite pricey when you also include a
thermostatic control. Do you have any clever ways to provide controlled
heating to your starting seeds that uses other stuff and is less costly?

TIA
EJ in NJ

Mine just has a little control switch that reads low - medium - high.
Get the cheapest that you can. I put mine inside a garbage bag to
protect it from moisture before I lay the germination tray on it, under
the grow lights.

Some people have luck germinating on top of the refrigerator, or water
heater. I used to do it under my heated water bed, but it wasn't near as
effective as the combined hot pad/light combo.
--

- Billy