Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Death of a plum tree ?

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Rusty, perhaps that should be: Inexperienced people should never prune
plums.

Some plums, whoever prunes them, shut-up-shop and refuse to fruit for
years.

That's just plain stroppy, but surely a varietal problem, rather than a
pruning problem.

Well, yes - if you prune the wrong variety...

I used to prune my Victoria plum tree most summers in good hot, dry
weather.
It was vigorous, healthy and very fruitful for about 15-18 years.

Victorias are an exception, I believe.

Lucky for me then :~), and lucky for the op, who happens to be growing
Victoria.

/prune/

Some plums.

Try pruning a greengage...

We tried a greengage, but the Husband Thingy signed it's death warrant
when
it was stingy with its fruit :~{. Who knows, patience may have been
rewarded ...

IME, they tend to have good years and bad ones. I was going to turn a
greengage tree into timber and firewood, and it must have got wind of
the intention, and was loaded with fruit that year...

Well, if ours had taken half as much notice, it might still be alive :~(

Spider
--
Rusty