Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Grass walkways through garden?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:28:02 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

I would welcome comments from some of you more experirenced gardners. My
garden consists of about a dozen beds of various sizes (15x5 being common)
with grass walkways in between. The walkways are wide enough to run a lawn
mower through them. I've considered killing the grass. I have an old
swimming pool liner that I am thinking of cutting up into strips and
laying
it on the walkways for a while, so I can kill the grass without resorting
chemicals.

Any thoughts of having grass near and through a garden? Is it likely to
house and breed flea beetles and other insects, and would you recommend
getting rid of it? Or would you consider it to be harmless and possible
aesthetically pleasing (it does look nice in the summer to have nice green
pathways through the garden)

I think if you like the way it looks and the grass is not an invasive
type, like coastal Bermuda or other types like it, stay with the
grass. I kept piling cardboard and shredded leaves on the paths in my
garden because I despise Bermuda which is a noxious weed here in TX.

I don't think you will be breeding fleas or other insects as long as
you keep the grass watered and healthy. So I think you answered your
own question. If it is aesthetically pleasing and worth the work I
say keep it.
Victoria

Thank you everyone! It seems the general consensus is that it doesn't hurt
anything to have these grass covered pathways through the garden. I live in
the mid-Willamette Valley, western Oregon, right in the middle of the grass
seed farming area - grass grows everywhere, and very well.