Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Biochar

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:24:17 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:33:19 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Increase the fertility of your garden for FREE.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...-To-Improve-Yo
ur-
Soil.aspx

Ahem, OldeAlzheimers ! I posted this Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:43:03 -0600
Msg id

Namenda and Aricept is a good combination. Also read Bill's article
on rhubarb.

Not meaning to start a rhubarb here, or nothing......

Charlie

Never can tell when a newbi will stop by and say,"That's just the
question I've always wanted to ask, and there it is, right in front of
me. Glory be. "

I'm thinkin' we oten use it for wallpaper. Maybe put in a couple of
tasteful corner ads, and make the group some money.

Aye...well now, put that way, you are correct! Pardon me smart mouff.

Seems as if some folks needs lots o' repeating (self-included, where's
the rhubarb)...

BTW.....the effing weather here sucks.....not conducive to gardening
*at all*. Other than the garlic, nothing is up, or planted,
except-------- the heirloom greens bed that I planted this
afternoon. It's 4 x 10. I mix all the lettuces and stuff together
with some damp sand and broadcast it and then rake it in. Toss in
radishes also, they are good to create some space when harvested.

Rain anticipated five of the next seven days. I'm going out later and
cover a couple of the beds with plastic to keep the rain off and warm
them.

Found a good large metal trashcan with lid and am going to start
making batches of biochar out of the weeds, grass, sticks etc. that
always accumulate.

Charlie

Sorry to hear about the weather. Four years ago (I think) we had rain
until May. It was June before I could get the garden planted. Talk about
"sucked", it "Hoovered". Here, north of San Francisco, we just had a
week of overcast and rain (not enough to make any change in expected
water rationing but all donations are gratefully accepted). Lookin' in
to my little box of seeds, I found a number of partial packets of salad
and beets. There was already a thin layer of mulch in the salad patch as
well as in the old salad garden which is now mostly beets, onions,
garlic, chard. I took my hand full of lettuce seeds and cast them into
the salad patch did likewise with the beet seeds into the other patch
and now both are showing a number of sprouts. The salad garden actually
looks like a green carpet. Thank god for iron phosphate or I wouldn't
have any seedlings at all.

Finally got my carrots and parsnips bed seeded (mostly: ran out of
seeds) yesterday. I put up a barrier to keep the "Hounds from Hell" out
of it. When I finished, I found that they had strolled off, out of the
yard, and I spent the next hour finding them. They can enjoy the life of
being chained up for awhile. Usually, they don't run off, if I'm outside
with them.

I bought some starter plants of Brandywine, Striped German, and a couple
of bell peppers. They take so long to develop, I just wanted to have
back up to my germinated plants which aren't doing much right now,
outside in the cold. Hopefully, I'll get another germination tray
started tomorrow with my bitter melons and zuchetta included.

I wanted to thank you for the hanging petunias idea. They didn't do
anything last years but they over wintered and 2 out of 5 are blooming
already. I'm impressed. The geraniums blackened to the roots but most
are showing signs of life.

The garbage can sounds like a good idea, if you already have an old,
used-up one. Even when the bottom rots out, you still got the lid to
stop the fire.

Funny how things work out. Rome fell in the 4th century AD. Books were
used for toilet paper and fires. Knowledge was preserved by arabs and
re-discovered by Europeans on the Iberian peninsula in the 14th century.
A millennium of western intellectual development lost. Now, from the
Amazon, 600 years later, the gift of soil.

I wonder, how much more will humanity learn, what it used to know?

Gotta change the fishs water.

Bye
--

- Billy