Old 13-04-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ernie Willson Ernie Willson is offline

Default Sowing zinnias & sunflowers in large patches

wrote:
Is there such a thing to sow zinnia and sunflower seeds in large areas
directly into the ground? My guess is that it would have to be two
different devices because of the large size difference between the
two. I need something that will save my aching back! I have a small
tractor, if that matters, but would probably dont' want something like
a broadcast spreader.

Cheers!

I've planted both sunflower and zinnia by broadcasting them, but I never
planted them together. I'd expect that it would work though.

Basically just toss the seed loose on the soil, gently rake it in and
water. The seed should be covered by between 1/4 and 1/2 inch no more.
Do not "bury" the seed. It may be a little early to start these seeds
outdoors. Check the sowing dates in your area.

Rake easy and don't pull your back out.

EJ in NJ