Old 13-04-2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Sowing zinnias & sunflowers in large patches

"dukes909 wrote:

Is there such a thing to sow zinnia and sunflower seeds in large areas
directly into the ground? My guess is that it would have to be two
different devices because of the large size difference between the
two. I need something that will save my aching back! I have a small
tractor, if that matters, but would probably dont' want something like
a broadcast spreader.

There exist all types of seed planting implements, adjustible for differnet
sized seed and adjustable for spacing... many attach to tractors. Naturally
you don't want to scatter sunflower seeds with a spreader, the birds will
scoff them down as fast as you can strew them about, you need an implement
that digs a small furrow, drops seed, and covers them as you go. There are
all kinds of manual implements as well. I can't advise you further about
seeders until you say how large is your "large". It would also help if you
indicate what are your intentions for your sunflowers, for landscaping
because you think they're attractive or for a food crop... there are many
types of sunflower.