Old 13-04-2009, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Peter@yahoo.com is offline

Default Question - Best way to kill a fox?

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:09:21 +0100, mr_bulb wrote:

What is the best way to kill a fox? He keeps coming into my garden and
wreckin my plants. I tried to catch him with a rake but he was too
quick for me, is there any traps i can setup?

Hava Heart puts out an animal trap... good for the usual mix of critters... might work
for your fox depending upon the size.

Local Animal Control might be of assistance.. if you're in a populated area. However they
usually kill the animals when caught.

When you catch the fox, you gotta figure out what to do with it... ie... you have a wild
critter on your hands... and he might be kinda ****ed !! Or scared... either one will
buy you a bite if you're not careful.

The professional trappers use leg hold traps... usually kills or cripples the animal.
..
You can do - rat poison mixed with canned dog food.... however you'll probably
see a lot more dead animals than the fox. It's a method I would not recommend
but you didn't provide a lot of details.

So, those are ways you can trap dispose of the critter.... none are very nice.. but
you asked.

I would probably use a more humane way...You'll sleep better at night.
The motion activated sprinkler is a good idea... If you have a dog, keep him visible...

Foxes have been known to keep the squirrel and rabbit population down. Unless
they have lodging around your property, they normally won't stay in an area for
a long period of time, unless birthing.

You might try .. giving the fox an alternative food supply... place it away from the
house or garden. using canned dog food or kibble. Again... foxes probably won't
settle down in an area inhabited by people unless they have a den nearby.

Now I'm kinda curious... foxes usually hunt at dusk or night.... I've seen them during
the day making their rounds, but not too frequently. usually early morning or twilight.
So if you had a fox eating in your garden, during daytime and you were close enough to
attack it with a rake.... somethings not right.

Foxes occasionally carry rabies. Rabid foxes are not fearful of humans and can be
agressive.

Is it a friendly fox... people keep them as pets...treat them almost like you would
treat a dog... they bond pretty well with humans... .Perhaps a neighbor is feeding him??
Don't walk up to him and pet him... but perhaps, like many other animals, deer,
raccoon.. he's becoming domesticated.

Those are suggestions.. many people on this newsgroup seem to share a co-existance
philosophy.....critters might be wild, they might be dumb, but they're trying to make a
living, just like you and me.... sometimes it's easier to put up with them. We're lucky
to have them around.

Other people think anything in the wild is rabid and needs to be destroyed immediately...
(and don't forget to wash your hands afterwards too !!)

you didn't provide a lot of detail... so these are just general suggestions /
observations.

Peter