Old 13-04-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default holding numbers and glysophate

brian mitchell wrote:
Three years ago I bought a 5 litre container of Roundup from a local
farmers supply store. When I tried to buy the same this year I was
told they couldn't sell it to me without a holding number. I could
buy a 1 litre container but the price difference is extreme. The 5
litre costs £50, the 1 litre £30.

I'm interested to know if anyone here has run into the same situation,
anyone with a large plot or who gardens professionally? The people in
the store couldn't tell me why this new piece of regulation had been
brought in or what terrible danger is supposedly being averted by it.
brian mitchell

Perhaps the url that Sacha just posted might have answers to some of the
questions?

www.seedtoplate.com

" Press Release: Death by Multiple Poisoning, Glyphosate and Roundup
In an article submitted to the USDA on behalf of ISIS (Institute of Science
in Society), serious concerns over the safety of the most commonly used
herbicide - Glyphosate - are raised. When this chemical is combined with
others to formulate Roundup, it becomes even more dangerous.

Crops (75% worldwide) have been modified so that these herbicides can be
sprayed directly onto the plants without killing them. This, of course, so
that the weeds will die, but the plant will not. We then eat those crops
and ingest those herbicides.

A few disturbing facts from this article:

a.. A study on Ontario farming populations showed that exposure to
glyphosate nearly doubled the risk of late spontaneous abortions. When the
application was delivered in the form of Roundup, the effect was at least
two-fold.
b.. Brief exposure to commercial glyphosate caused liver damage in rats.
c.. Three recent studies suggest an association between glyphosate use and
the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. "