Old 13-04-2009, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Sowing zinnias & sunflowers in large patches

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:50:00 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

I've planted both sunflower and zinnia by broadcasting them, but I never
planted them together. I'd expect that it would work though.

Basically just toss the seed loose on the soil, gently rake it in and
water. The seed should be covered by between 1/4 and 1/2 inch no more.
Do not "bury" the seed. It may be a little early to start these seeds
outdoors. Check the sowing dates in your area.

Rake easy and don't pull your back out.

To say I'm planting them for my benefit, I would only mean it in the
sense of using some for cut flower arrangements (not like at a
farmer's market), or just for the view. Mainly for the view and for
wildlife. I have never used any kind of pesticide in my gardens.

The two areas combined are probably around 5,000 square feet. Are you
suggesting that broadcasting the seeds is a better method for weed
control than rows?

Thanks!

I like Mexican sunflowers. They are small and not for seed but the
softness of the plant is sensual combined with a attractive flower
makes this a nice 5 foot plant. I believe finches take the small
flowerets in time. None have ever self seeded (

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...arch&search=Me
xican%2bsunflower

I'm partial to te Italian White's that Park Seed has, but all
sunflowers are beautiful. And goldfinches! i never saw them here
before I started planting susnflowers.

5000 sq ft of them - wow! No more advice from me on how to do it
without some back pain. Let us know the results.

Kate