Old 13-04-2009, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Peter@yahoo.com is offline

Default How NOT to plant a hosta....

Greeting all.....

Picked up a package of Elegans Hostas ( thanks to Bill's recommendations for giant
hostas).

Picked a nice place in the yard.... the first two hostas went in nice and neat. Dug the
holes, amended the soil...it was. loam/ clay to mostly clay further down.

Hole number three... nicely spaced apart from the other two... shovel went in and
hit something hard, moved a few inches, shovel went in and hit something hard...
tried this again and again and again. No luck.... finally decided to excavate.

There is a boulder, about 3 feet x 2 1/2 feet by xxx feet located about 5 - 6" down.
Made a few half hearted attempts to dig around it... wayyyy beyond my capability.

So the monster is right in the area where the hosta should be planted..... a few feet
left or right will disrupt the pattern of hostas and intrude into another part of the
garden.... Not a good option.

Removing the boulder is NOT going to happen... not by hand anyway.... the thing
is kinda large sized and heavy. I'm not.

So, question is... Will a giant hosta be able to grow in 6" of soil...... most of my
other hostas are within the top 4 - 6" of soil. Anyone have direct experience with
this?? Planting in this location is preferable, right amount of sun, right amount of
shade, right amount of moisture.

Or I can move the hosta to another location and forget trying to get a symeterical
pattern in this location....

Your thoughts are welcome

Peter