Old 13-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Warren

Default Plants at Wal-Mart

Polar wrote:
BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by

the
local garden clubs. Not all Wal-Marts are community pariahs.

They write it off on their taxes. They'd never give a dime otherwise,
nor would any corporate donors.

Why stop at corporate donors? Everyone gets to write-off donations. By
your logic, no one would donate otherwise.

Also, keep in mind it's a tax deduction, not a credit. If your marginal
tax rate is 40%, and you write-off a $100 donation, you'll save $40 in
taxes. But if you don't donate the $100, even after paying the $40 in
taxes, you'd still have $60 in your pocket that you wouldn't have if you
made the donation.

So donating and writing it off doesn't mean you're saving any more money
for yourself. You're still taking money out of your pocket.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.