Old 13-04-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Identity please

On Apr 13, 3:38*pm, robert wrote:
Grateful for a name to these:

Http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertindevon/?saved=1

(Clump of plants in front of the pieris and behind the euonymous).

They started to appear in the garden last year and are now popping up
everywhere.

Linear leaves, up to 22mm wide and 400mm long, with very slightly
serrated edges, no indication of flowers.

Location S Devon redlands, garden used to be part of broadleafed
woodland.

--
Robert

Might be pendulous sedge (Carex pendula); it is widespread (I think it
is native but cannot remember) in woodland and often planted. In our
garden, we dug up a huge one when we moved in and spent the next 3
years digging out seedlings like those. The leaves have a distinct
cross section (w shaped?) and the stems are triangular in cross
section.

Des in soggy Dublin