Old 13-04-2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Biochar

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
It's windy and mostly sunny here, supposed to get in the 50s, was in the
40s
when I woke up 4 hours ago, and I just moved some logs that were next to
the
herb bed, to make more room for more herbs or whatever I want to plant
there. So if you need a log, I got plenty! I'm also eager for my 2 dwarf
blueberries, ginger root, and 2 black walnut trees that have been shipped
me finally to get here...have no idea where to plant the black walnuts
though, because a book on companion planting I have(Carrots Love Tomatoes,
by Louise Riotte) says there's a substance on their leaves called juglone
that washes off them when it rains and prohibit growth of other greenage
near them....anyone had any experience with that?

Yep, don't plant them anywhere near your vegetables. Tomatos, especially,
refuse to grow near black walnuts. The squirrels plant nuts in my garden
every year & every year I have to dig them out. Black walnuts are almost a
weed here in western NC. Use lots of organic matter & mulch for the
blueberries as they are very shallow rooted. The ph should be 5.5 or lower
for them as well.
Good luck,
Steve (650+ blueberry plants & a small crop this year)

Charlie wrote in message
snip
Loverly day today! Rain, windy, temp 40F.

Wisht I had a damned log to crawl under.

Charlie