Old 13-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Japanese Maple Update

At 04:57 PM 4/13/03 +1000, James Quinan wrote:
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to all those that took time to give me feedback on my
problem. Muchly appreciated.
However, I'm more confused now than ever. I'm not sure now whether my maple
is suffering from powdery mildew, woolly aphids or what. The lower leaves
seem to be the most affected, and the powdery white stuff is on the
underside of the leaves. It is a fine white powder with some larger masses.
This seems to mean it may be woolly aphid instead of powdery mildew?

James

You are going to have rule out mites and other creatures. You can do this
with a hand lens or lupe. I think I already gave you this link, which you
can use to confirm or eliminate the possibility of mites:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/mites.htm

If not mites, but some other insect or pest, you will be able to find out
with a hand lens. Powdery mildew doesn't crawl around or leave eggs. Get a
lens, it is a mandatory part of engaging in horticulture.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++