Old 14-04-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Should I Lock My Shed

"Pete C" wrote in message

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 14/04/09 17:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ed" wrote ...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and

Meant to ask, what's an "allotment"?

In the UK, an allotment is a bit of land away from your house used for
growing fruit and veg. Allotment sites vary in size, mine has only 16
plots and is securely fenced. Other sites have over a hundred plots. Does
that help?

Yes, it helps, but what size is a plot, and does each participant need their
own shed... I'd think in such a situation a community shed would be more
efficient (not so redundant, I mean 16 sheds is a bit much, a 100 is
asinine), and with many community tools as well, as I can't imagine everyone
needs say a wheelbarrow, or a rake, or a shovel at the same time... probably
easily get by with half as many tools or less, I can't imagine 16 plot
caretakers need more than 2 wheelbarrows between them, I'd think no more
than half are ever there at the same time. Okay, the big question, who owns
this farm land, is there a landlord who rents/leases out the plots, and at
what cost, or?

Thanks.