Old 14-04-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Should I Lock My Shed

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 14/04/09 17:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ed" wrote ...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and

Meant to ask, what's an "allotment"?

In the UK, an allotment is a bit of land away from your house used
for growing fruit and veg. Allotment sites vary in size, mine has
only 16 plots and is securely fenced. Other sites have over a
hundred plots. Does that help?

Yes, it helps, but what size is a plot, and does each participant
need their own shed... I'd think in such a situation a community shed
would be more efficient (not so redundant, I mean 16 sheds is a bit
much, a 100 is asinine), and with many community tools as well, as I
can't imagine everyone needs say a wheelbarrow, or a rake, or a
shovel at the same time... probably easily get by with half as many
tools or less, I can't imagine 16 plot caretakers need more than 2
wheelbarrows between them, I'd think no more than half are ever there
at the same time. Okay, the big question, who owns this farm land,
is there a landlord who rents/leases out the plots, and at what cost,
or?
Thanks.

A community shed is in fact a good idea. However, Brits tend to be
'isolated' 'what's mine is mine'. I'm not....happily share anything, and I
do. Here, most allotment sites are owned by the local authority (the
Council) but some are privately owned.
I like your thinking Brooklyn
--
Pete C