Old 14-04-2009, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Tree safe broadleaf herbicide?

[flup set to ahlg]

Jon Danniken said:

Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Well, the Walnut could go. =P

How large are the trees?

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

If they're mature, it would take a pretty hefty dose.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

There'd be a lot of turf-care people out of work, who answered "no" to that
last question.

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

The rate given on the bag, when applied as directed, should be safe for
anything larger than a very small sapling.

--

Eggs

A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.