Old 15-04-2009, 03:12 PM
hedgehawg hedgehawg is offline
Registered User

Default North facing garden problem

I have a new build house with a tiny 20 foot by 16 foot north facing garden. I`m currently planning to convert it into a beautiful courtyard with decking, pergola and patio and have no lawn.

As I know nothing about gardening I really need some advice on the types of plants I will be able to have in my garden when its done. It doesn`t get much direct sunlight being on the north side.

I would love a climber to run up the pergola but whats the best kind and after that I`m planning on having various plants in pots around the garden but which should I go for, it seems when I look at the advice labels on plants that they all need to be in the sunshine. I really want to have lavendar and I like bamboo and grasses and I would like a little herb garden but will this work?

I basically need to know plants that thrive in the shade.